Sometimes, we get so caught up in doing all the things that we think we ought to do, or should do, or need to do, or have to do, that we lose touch with what it is exactly that we want to do. And sometimes we get lost doing all the things that we think other people want us to do or expect us to do. Now, it’s time to get back in touch with exactly what it is that makes our hearts sing: those things that we’re passionate about.
What are your passions in life? Get out your notebook or journal and write down everything that comes to mind. As always, please keep an open mind so you can avoid filtering things out. Also remember not to judge the things that you think of. Just write everything down, and get the ideas flowing!
- Which of your past or current hobbies do you love so much that you could do them for hours and days on end, without ever getting tired of them?
- What could you spend hours reading about online or in books? Or taking classes and workshops on? Or talking about all day?
- Which activities or hobbies do you get so absorbed in that all of a sudden you look at the clock and can’t believe that hours have gone by, you hadn’t noticed it got dark outside, and you even forgot to eat?
- What things are you so confident about doing, that the word “failure” never comes into you mind when you’re doing them?
- What motivates you, inspires you, and makes you feel alive and full of energy?
- If you had all the time and money you needed, and could dedicate yourself to doing a handful of things just for fun, what would they be?
- If you had an imaginary parallel life where everything were ideal, what would you be doing in it?
- What things do you find so easy to do, that you think they must be common sense to everyone else as well?
Now, what is it about these things that you love so much? What is it that you get out of doing these activities? Is it because they allow you to:
- Relax and recharge energy?
- Help others?
- Express yourself artistically?
- Make a difference in the world?
- Get in the zone? Feel like you’re flowing?
- What else?